The GED® is an examination of General Educational Development. It is given in English or Spanish.
- An individual who is 17* years of age or older, not a high school graduate or GEDⓇ graduate, not enrolled in school, and who has maintained residence in the State of Illinois for a minimum of thirty days.
- An individual who is 16 years of age may be eligible to take the GEDⓇ Test only if they meet the following criteria:
- Has maintained residence for 30 days in the State of Illinois; and
- Is enrolled in a youth education program under the Illinois National Guard (i.e., Lincoln’s Challenge) or ALOP through their local Regional Office of Education #11.
*17 year olds must present a withdrawal letter from the last school enrolled in before taking the GED® test. Click HERE for more information.
- Social Studies
- Language Arts
- Math – 115 minutes
- Science – 90 minutes
- Social Studies – 70 minutes
- Reasoning through Language Arts – 150 minutes
- Multiple choice
- Drag & drop
- Select an area
- Fill in the blank
- Short answer
- Extended response
- GEDⓇ classes can be taken through the Lake Land College Adult Education Program. Contact them at (800) 210-5541 or (217) 235-0361
- Study materials are available on the GEDⓇ website – Click Here
- GEDⓇ study materials may be found at your local library.
According to the Illinois Community College Board “if you have a documented learning, physical or emotional disability, you may qualify for accommodations for a GED® test administration”. Click HERE for more information.
Each subject costs $30 for a total of $120.
Candidates must have an email address, apply online and pay the fees with a debit or credit card. Click HERE to register.
You must take and pass the US and Illinois Constitution test. The test is given at the ROE at no cost. Call the ROE, (217) 348-0151, to make an appointment to take the Constitution exam. Click HERE for Constitution study guide in English. Click HERE for Constitution study guide in Spanish.
Click here for the GED/Illinois High School Diploma Information Request form.