Youth Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. This 8-hour training gives adults who work with youth the skills they need to reach out and provide initial support to adolescents (ages 12-18) who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care.
WHAT IT COVERS
• Common signs and symptoms of mental illnesses in this age group, including:
– Eating disorders
– Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
• Common signs and symptoms of substance use.
• How to interact with an adolescent in crisis.
• How to connect the adolescent with help.
WHO SHOULD TAKE IT
• School staff
• Camp counselors
• Youth group leaders
• People who work with youth
The course will teach you how to apply the ALGEE action plan:
• Assess for risk of suicide or harm
• Listen nonjudgmentally
• Give reassurance and information
• Encourage appropriate professional help
• Encourage self-help and other support strategies
Click HERE to register. Lunch is provided but there is a limit of 25 participants.